Yesterday, Mom, Molly, Buffy Jack and I went up to This Is The Place state park for a pre-Pioneer Day celebration. Jack took a while to warm up to the animals, in fact the peacocks terrified him, but we were able to get him on the horse ride. I guess I can't really blame him when I got gored by the cow that I was petting because I stopped to talk to mom. Next thing I know I was feeling a horn in my side. It wasn't very hard but it did startle me.
The highlight of the day, or should I say highlights, were the multiple train rides we went on. Jack was in heaven! There is a miniature train that we rode that Jack called the "pokey train." See attach
ed video. He was such a trooper and walked all over.His favorite was riding in the yellow caboose! Look at his grin!
We also went to a puppet show and Jack decided that he wanted to be a part of the show and before we knew it he was back behind the curtain with puppets. The girl doing the show was great and let him play with the puppet, which was as tall as he was!
At the entrance of the park is a brand new statue that was just unveiled last week of Brigham Young and Joseph Smith together. I really like it. You can almost feel the love and respect that they had for each other in the statue.
I'm grateful for my pioneer heritage and it's amazing to think that I had relatives in the Martin handcart company and other later companies. They went through and survived a lot...more than I ever could! I've realized that I really need to learn more about them and hope to. I'm also grateful for the faithful examples of my grandparents and parents! They're amazing and such a strength to me!
We had a great time at the park and we wore Jack and Buffy out! It didn't take long for them to doze off in the car. A day well spent and fun memories!
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Pioneer Day!
Posted by Becky at 7/24/2008 10:23:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Awww, it looks like he had a fun time, even with the scary peacocks. :)
Hey, Kenice has a blog now too. Now we just need to get her (and everyone else) to join Facebook.
Wansome?
A few thoughts:
1) How did I miss you getting gored by the cow?!
2) I'm glad that we have recorded the "pokey train" for posterity.
3) Is that what I look like when I sleep!?!?
1. You guys were ahead of me in the barn as we were leaving the petting area.
2. I love the Pokey Train video too. Man I'm going to miss you guys when you move. :(
3. Yes, that's what you look like when you're very tired, hot and crammed into the backseat of car. I think you both are cute!
What a fun trip!
You're such an awesome Aunt, and got some great pictures.
BTW, Amy mentioned that Miranda looks just like you. Seeing that picture of you and Jack together makes me realize just how much she does look like you! As Travis said about you when I asked him if Miranda looked like you, "Yes, she's quite pretty". (and if you didn't get that awkwardly phrased sentence, "Becky is pretty and Miranda looks like her")
Tell Travis thank you! I consider that quite a compliment because I think Miranda is adorable! We've had a fun time, just wish you guys could have been here too!
Post a Comment