As many of you know (and if you didn't you do now) I had a lumbar discectomy back in July. The first couple of weeks after my surgery everything seemed to be healing well. I wasn't in a lot of pain and the hip pain that I had had before the surgery was gone.
Unfortunately, about 3 weeks after my surgery, the bottom of my foot started to go numb. It isn't the same numb feeling that I feel in my shin, where I really can't feel anything, more of a buzzy feeing, like when your foot goes to sleep from sitting in one position too long. In addition to the "buzzy" feeling, I also started experiencing sharp pains in the sole of my foot and into my arch and heel, especially if I sat too long.
To make a really long story short, I have been put on medication, I've been going to physical therapy and 2 weeks ago I had a lumbar nerve block to see if it would alleviate the numbness and associated pain. The nerve block didn't work at all (in fact I think it made me worse for a few days) and so I was put on an "emergency open" list to get in to see Dr. Reichman. His "open" schedule is when he comes in and opens up an afternoon which is normally booked solid, and sees extra patients. They called me yesterday and told me that I could see Dr. Reichman today. Hallellujiah! I've been trying to see him personally for 6 months.
I met with him this afternoon and he said that after all my back has been through (Back surgeries in 1993, 2002 and most recently, July) that he felt that my only option for relief and the only real solution to the problem is to fuse my vertebra from my third lumbar vertebrae down to my last (L5) lumbar vertebrae--a 3 level fusion.
As of right now, this surgery is scheduled for February 19. I need to meet with my principal to work out my substitute, and athletic training situation. I'm supposed to supervise 2 student athletic trainer from BYU and co-supervise a student teacher from UVU's science program as well. Dr. Reichman said I could be out of work anywhere from 2 weeks to a month.
I just pray that this is a more successful surgery and that it is my last surgery. With fusions, there is a time span of about a decade before you'll need to do something again. Hopefully, I'll break that mold.
Thank you for all of your prayers on my behalf. I really appreciate them and know I will continue to need them in the upcoming months.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Lumbar fusion
Posted by Becky at 12/17/2009 11:50:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
We'll be praying that you remain comfortable (!) and functional in the meantime, and that this will be the last surgery for decadeS....
Its the day after your surgery is scheduled, and I am just wanting you to know that I hope it went well. We love you Becky. BTW I love your post "For all you teachers out there..."
Post a Comment